Thursday 28 May 2015

Foodiebox May 2015

Kia Ora!

Foodiebox is an offshoot from the Goodiebox company, and is dedicated to bringing customers interesting food bi-monthly. It costs $39 every two months.  I received my first Foodiebox in February, and wasn't hugely impressed. I forgot to cancel the subscription, so I received the May box too! Let's see what's in this box.


There is a proper branded box this time, which is kind of cool. It's a huge box though, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Maybe it will become the box I keep giveaway prizes in! Speaking of giveaways, I have one running on my Facebook page currently, so go and check it out! It's easy to enter, simply like my page, and then like the giveaway post.


The all-important card. Although I find it less important for non-beauty boxes, but still nice to know prices and value the box. The theme this month is A Sprinkling of Coziness, which is a very winter appropriate theme.


I do like that there is a recipe card, as this is quite useful for ideas on how to use some of the products in the box. I've already tried out the Crispy Roasted Potatoes recipe, and they were delicious. I've got plans to make the apple crumble for a dinner party over Queen's Birthday weekend so I can report back on that (probably with pictures via Facebook as that's the easiest medium).


Ceres Organics Tuscan-Bean Soup and Mediterranean Soup

I love soup, and winter is the perfect time to eat plenty of it. Canned soup is always a nice staple to have in the cupboard for easy lunches and dinners. I used the Tuscan-Bean Soup last night for dinner, and added celery, capsicum, carrot, and beans. This was really delicious, and made for a yummy dinner meal with toast. I would probably buy these again, as they aren't too expensive, and taste really good.

RRP: $3.00 each
Full size.


Home Gourmet White Truffle Mustard

I'm not a huge mustard fan, although I eat it more now than I did as a child or teenager. My Mum used to put mustard on my tongue as punishment, and I've hated it ever since. I haven't opened this one yet, as I'll probably end up giving it away for someone's birthday, but I guess it is a bit of a different product to have. It's rather neat that it has Truffles in it, and is a product of France. Not so great for me as I'll never use it, but it might be interesting to some other people.

RRP: $5.50
Full size.


Home Gourmet Duck Fat from France

Another product from France! Fancy. I've never used any type of animal fat before, and was wary of trying this out. My SO convinced me that it would be a fun experiment and we used it to make the roast potato recipe included on the card above. It was a really soft solid (as odd as that sounds) and I used a pastry brush to put the fat onto the potatoes. Personally I didn't notice much of a difference in using this versus a normal cooking oil, but my SO loved the taste. This isn't a product I would have bought for myself, but it's fun to experiment with and play around with.

RRP: $9.99
Full size.


Jed's Coffee Bags No. 3 & 4

These boxes inspired a very half-hearted 'wooo' from me when I saw them. I'm not a coffee drinker myself, although I do indulge on rare occasions, usually when I'm particularly tired or stressed. I've seen these around and thought about buying some for my SO to try, but even he wasn't exactly dancing with excitement when he was presented with these. He did try one, and promptly tipped the rest of the cup down the sink. To be fair, he's a bit of  a coffee snob, so that wasn't an unexpected reaction. Luckily my dad is also a coffee addict, so these will probably make up part of his Father's Day present in September.

RRP: $7.00
Full size.


Vogel's All Good - Almond Cashew & Linseed

Finally a product in this box that excites me! I love muesli, and I love nuts, so a product combining them is perfect. I have heard good things about the Vogel's Muesli products, but haven't had a chance to try them out as yet. This will make for some delicious breakfasts for awhile!

RRP: $7.50
Full size.


Crave Food Classic Crumble Mix

As with the last box, I'm not a huge fan of pre-made mixes, but this looks slightly different. This provides the dry ingredients of the crumble, and you have to add butter and the fruit. I don't often make crumble as we generally try not to eat too much dessert at home, but I have a dinner party coming up so this will be useful for that.

RRP: $8.00
Full size.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Total value of the box: $51.00.

I think the box costs $40 so I guess I'm getting my money's worth here, although I would personally rather spend $40 on things I want and will use at the supermarket, or even a takeaway dinner or two. I've now cancelled this box, as it isn't right for me. If you have the money, and want to try out products that are probably outside of your usual weekly shopping then I can see this being a good box. However, I don't use most of these products at all, so I won't continue wasting my money on it. A bit of a harsh view, but there you go. Does anyone else get this box?

Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment